Friday 30 November 2012

Wandering into a fairy tale!


David and I arrive in Sibiu with red noses and sleepy fish eyes.  We haven't had the space to look after ourselves, being dependant on our host who tells us when we can or can't go home. Big days, long nights and early mornings scuttting out of people's houses.
  Our new host welcomes us warmly with herbal 'bless you' tea which we drink with honey and lemon and we settle down foran early(ish) night.  We're on the cold gray street at 8am, blowing our noses in between sniffling them, and blinking at the little streets.  Sibiu is a little doll's villiage.  It's all too cute and perfect, with windy streets which duck and twist amongst each other, each lined with pokey houses, each with a little chimney and pointy red roof which have little attic windows.  The houses are exactly like the houses I would draw as a little girl; basic shapes in little boxes. Simple.  Dolly. And as I consider it - they don't exist like this in Australia.

  We stroll around oddly; our feeling too realistic for this fairy tale land.  The next day we visited Sighisoara, and amongst these two days we shared many interesting, educational and simply fun experiences, but frankly its all so fantasical to be true.
  Travelling Europe has always been such a dream for me - because it seemed so far away I made it all the more fantastical in my mind.  Travelling here (after not planning to, for one) is trippy.  Surreal.  Of-coarse, life is life and my reality strings the two different worlds together making my dream real.  So amongst my wandering fascination and curiosity, I'm annoyed that my socks are wet inside my boots, and slightly craving some sugarry goodness.

Sighisoara turned me on.

The little villiage climbing up a hill is bordered (once again) by forests.  Scattered along the forest edge are graves.  I imagine that in certain seasons (or perspectives) the forests appear dark and gloomy - the types which no one enters in fairy tales.  The type of forest which keep the villiage a tight community, as parents warn their children not to wander too far from home.
  However, these forests have a perculiar spirit.  Unlike other forests - or bushes - I've come across.  They seem friendly, and well loved, and I can now say that Romania doesn't have the money (or facilities) to start cutting them down in the first place (even if it will make them richer).  On this topic, Romania in fact has a few mountains stuffed with gold and other rich minerals, but as the country hasn't the ability to access them, they've been sold to America in order to recieve 10 percent of it's profits.  True little fact,
  But this helps to explain just one reason why its such an awesome place to travel - it hasn't the money to truly destroy it's beauty via capitalistic methods.

  It was great though - in SIghisoara as I walked down a street, someone came up to me, "Sofia ?" He said.  It turned out to be someone I'd messaged on couch surfing, but with whom I couldn't stay with (you can't travel north easily form Sighisoara).  This awesome guy gave us (Me David and a lovely Austrian we met and will meet again in Austria) a tour of the villiage as well as a tour of his art gallery.  Was rather fortunate.

  Papanash: a Romanian desert.  It's like a dough nut, but crispier on the outside and berrys and cream oh my goodness. youjusthavetotryit
houses made to suit the streets

brothers grimm grave yard

the eyes on the rooves!!

we miss the last train, and get home really late by night bus

No comments:

Post a Comment