Saturday 11 August 2012

a surprizing highpoint


My boyfriends from Ramallah all applied for a months
allowance to travel outside of the West Bank! This was approved
within the month.  It costs over 500 sheckles (over 140 dollars).
MM.
Anyway so they invited me to go to Jerusalem with them one night
and I said Why not, and left my girls at home who had better
things to do.
  It was 830pm when we left, for some reason (my arabic disables
a lot of communication) and by the time we got through the checkpoint
and to Jerusalem it was about 1030. Sorry, when I say Jerusalem,
I mean a half an hours bus ride from the old city to a huge
shopping mall. Like South Land, or Highpoint.  It was the first
time out of the West Bank for most of them, and this was the
best thing they'd ever seen.

  Unfortunately, most of the shops were actually closed by now
and moreover if we were to make the last buses back to Ramallah
we barely had an hour to look around at the mall.
  I spent one sheckle (10 cents maybe) on a bouncy ball and played
down ball with whoever I could distract at a time.
  I think I was annoying...see I kept (trying to) speak arabic on the
bus ride home and they seemed to be almost ashamed to speak
arabic.
Once back in Ramallah I ate the best falafel sandawich ever. See,
in Ramallah the shops are open all night long though in the mall even
the food shops were closing.
  Arabs seem to have endless energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment