Saturday 11 August 2012

Road To Nasara



It was sad to leave, though I knew I'd be coming back.
I've become very close to my fwends in Ramallah.
  After working days we'd spend long nights teaching
eachother languages, playing chess, watching olympics,
smoking shisha, going out in Ramallah, eating, drinking,
watching arabic skits, listening to live music which
comes to the centre to practice etc

So I was to catch a bus to Jerusalem then another to Petah
Tikvah from there.  I thought it would take me 40 minutes
to Jersusalem then an hour from there, so I thought I'll
leave 3 hours before Im meeting them to ensure I'm not
late.  I was over two hours late.
  I was stuck on my way to Jerusalem for over 1 hour
at the checkpoint alone.  The people have learnt how to
push their way through, and I suspect I was pushed back
many times.  Finally when I got to Jerusalem, I had to
find the right bus.  I asked for directions from many people.
One said to go in one direction, and after walking around
one kilometre I asked someone else who said TO GO THE
OPPOSITE WAY AGAIN.  Most people in fact were tourists
or foreigners.  Barely anyone seemed to know their way around,
it seemed.  Cept the soliders.  Finally I found the tram
to take me to the bus stop.  Transport is like Melbourne there,
with buses and trams all with dear expenses.
  One difference however is to get into the bus depot, everyone
lines up and has their bag exrayed as they walk through a
beepy machine.
  So arabs arent the only pushy ones.
  I find my bus and am relieved as I take off my backpack
(carrying all mi stuff).
  Id spent most of my money by now, but a lovely arabic girl
lent me enough to buy a ticket.
  She turned my day around, and I enjoyed the bus ride as
a little jewish-hatted boy slept pressed against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment