Friday 24 August 2012

Dipping my thoughts in coffee


OkiDoki.
I'm currently sitting in an israeli chain store in
the central bus station of Jerusalem.  I'm sipping
on my coffee all too quickly as I have five whole
hours until the one whom I'm waiting will arrive here.
  I plan to sit in this cafe the whole while
scabbing their free wi-fi...and sipping my
single coffee ... the cheapest one on the menu.
  I'm not exactly mobile as on top of my back pack
I have my hand bag and a big, overflowing green bag.
  I thought going to Nazareth would relieve me of
presents which weighed me and my bag down. Oh how
I was mistaken.  My clothing has now doubled in
amounts and you know what: I hate all of them.
  I plan to donate them all the poor once I reach
Ramallah.  (Then I'll start actually buying things
here, too.  Other than bus rides and the occasional
falafel sandwich.)  Until then I'm a walking bag stand.

(Dont mind me if I ramble...I have five hours...)
  So Nazareth:
Before I left, I organized to do a thorough exploration
of the old city of Narazeth.  Taita insisted I visited
one of the many churches, and since tens of bus loads
of tourists visit the city nearly everyday to see them
I thought it would be worth my 1 dollar bus ride.
  One church which everyone but me probably knows had
about 200 ancient mosaics/sculptures based on Mary and Jesus
surrounding its outer walls.  Each one was from a different
country, incorporating the culture and style of the country
into their interpretation of the bible.  It was awesome!!!
My favourites were from China (Anime Mary and Jesus!), Spain
(it was like a gothic nativity set...a bit spooky), and Nazareth
itself (Mary just matched my own interpretation).

  I wont tell you about the history of the land because this is
my story your reading, not Jesus'.

  I felt so stupid, though.  At least the huge tourist groups
know their bible.  I wanted to light a candle in one of the
cute little churches so I grabbed one from a big box.  It
had already been lit and put out so I thought how good, they
recycle.  I looked for the donation box and couldnt find it
so I though there mustnt be one.  So I relit an old candle.
  Within moments an angry man puts it out puts it into
the bin and walks away. Considering that it represented my
 prayer I was sorta taken aback.  Eventually I found the candle
stand and I bought one from him. Made him laugh with a little
joke and ran away.


  The old city is ususually alit with noisy movement and
colours of fruits and clothing.  But I experienced it
during Ead.  The quiet streets and closed doors (or open
doors where sleepy workers watched TV beside the fan) were
really lovely to meander around.

Not sure if I've told you about the one million times I've
gotten lost by myself thus far....but this adventure into
Nazareth was one of them.  Luckily, because it led me
to the holliest spot I'd found in my exploration of churches.
  The cemetary.  It's incredible.  Each grave is a mini
garden, with succunlents and roses crawling out and into
the neighbouring grave, all shaded by Jacaranders and and fig
trees.  The flowering Life and The Dead both seemed so
happy and peacefull.  Nothing was going anywhere and nothing
needed to. You know what else? Muslims dont use coffins!!!! Gosh I love them all just for that.
They dont even believe in decorating graves with superfluous memorial statues.


  Sitting here, I'm somehow glad to
have left Nazareth.  I felt too weird there, (amongst the younger
family members more than the older).  I felt ugly for not wearing
make-up and weird for thinking a tree is beautifull.
  Amongst the jews (in Jerusalem) its more like Australia; people come from all over the world and
 barely seem to notice you if your western looking,. They seem not to notice you at all actually

  Soooooooooooooo I freaked out a little bit this week.  I thought I'd be
stranded in Jerusalem as my Ramallahn friends were in Tel Aviv
 Palestinian phones and so I went through my contact sources to find somewhere to stay.
 My welcoming family needed to prepare themselves for a new school
year so I felt like I had to go somewhere.
  My calling came form G, whom most people have told me is a spy.
But she's Jamiels friend.  Who cares? If you live in Israel and your
not Palestinian your automatically supporting the oppresion of Palestine.
Thus, she's no good.

  I'm currently waiting for G at the bus station.  I need to, it's
my calling.  Israel and Palestine are enemies and afterall, for one to
consider the best possible way to improve the situation one must know
the life on either side of the wall.  Palestinians are so isolated here
from everyone else, so that their views of eachother are warped.  I want
to know how Palestinians appear from the otherside, and how people can live
in such a country.  If G wants to give me a warped view of Israel, to
convert my political views, it wont work but I'm intrigued to hear.

  I am inocent here and I won't go putting any of my friends of family
 in danger as I won't mention them.  Not that any one is guilty of anything
Ahh!!! I'm so sick of this paranoia. Cant wait for Europe

2 comments:

  1. everyone is a child of the world, and good on you for learning about all of the different parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! You too. Do I know you?

    ReplyDelete